The Amazingly Delicious Kale Pesto
My latest obsession is kale and I just can't seem to get enough of it. Here is a single recipe that can be used in many ways. My favorite is as a spread on a grilled cheese sandwich...it sounds much simpler that it tastes. This was our dinner on a Tuesday night...and for the following 4 nights! I LOVE IT!!!!!
6 cups kale-roughly chopped
2 cloves garlic
½ cup walnuts
½ - ¾ cup olive oil
- In a food processor, pulse the garlic until chopped.
- Add the kale, (If your kale seems like it won’t fit, add it in batches until it reduces a bit.) lemon juice, salt and walnuts and process until combined.
- With the food processor running, slowly add the olive oil until you reach a thick, spreadable pesto...done!
Alternatives, ideas & suggestions:
- If you'd like to use the pesto on pasta, add reserved, hot pasta water to the pesto until the desired consistency is reached. Don’t forget to add the parmesan cheese!!
- Mix it up a little and add some other flavors like arugula, spinach, basil, parsley, cilantro etc. (substitute the other greens for the kale)
- Kale pesto makes a great spread on chicken & fish.
- Drop a dollop in your soup. Yum, what a great idea!
- Mix into plain Greek yogurt and use as a dip or a spread for your quesadillas.
- This would be a fresh-tasting sauce on a pizza...